Before the Second World War, the Jewish community made up 25% of the population of Kraków. According to the 1939 census, conducted by the occupants, it had consisted of 64,000 people. After the war, the number of Jews declined to about 1000.
The participants of the Former Ghetto and KL Płaszów Guided Tour have a chance to learn about the tragic faith of the Jewish residents of Kraków while visiting the most important locations connected to the events of 1939-1945.
The trip begins with a stroll through the former ghetto area. It was an isolated part of the occupied city, which became a Jewish neighborhood following the ordinance of the governor of the Kraków District. The Jews from Kraków and surrounding areas were forcibly relocated to a territory of only twenty hectares. Persecuted, starved, and forced to labor, the ghetto prisoners were confined to cramped and unsanitary living conditions.
Next, the visitors proceed to a former Nazi concentration camp in Płaszów, which also served as a stop on the way to Auschwitz for the transports of Jews from Slovakia and Hungary. Moreover, it was used as a detention and execution site for the residents of Kraków and those affected by pacification processes of the nearby villages.
|Group of 5 people||100 PLN|
1. This tour is a private trip.
2. This is a walking tour, so appropriate footwear is necessary. The area of the Płaszów Camp is not paved.
3. The transfer between the former ghetto and the Płaszów Camp area is by tram. Tram tickets are included in the total price. If you wish to arrange a private transfer for more convenience, please inform us beforehand.
The ghetto in Krakow was established in March 1941 in the Podgórze District of Krakow. A barbed-wired fence enclosing the area was soon replaced by a wall. The elements of that structure have remained until today. Four gates led to the ghetto and any attempts to leave it without permission from the authorities were strictly forbidden. The penalty was death. During the visit to the camp, the Former Ghetto and KL Płaszów Guided Tour stops at the Eagle Pharmacy, which is famous for having been the only open business of this type within the limits of the ghetto. Another stop is at a well-known building of Oskar Schindler’s Enamel Factory, which has been turned into a museum. During the second part of the trip, the participants visit the area of the former German Nazi labor and concentration camp in Płaszów that was raised on two old Jewish cemeteries and opened in October 1942. It is estimated that about 50,000 people were held in the camp, with the number of victims reaching 8,000. There is an open-air exhibition of archival photos that reveal the painful history of the camp and show the previously existing buildings. The exhibit offers a chance to go back in time, into one of the most distressing moments in history, that leaves nobody indifferent.
Check your booking on your phone or tablet
We cooperate only with qualified and experienced tour leaders and guides
We organise regular and private tours, for small and large groups
We have been named the leader of the year among tour operators a number of times. The award is presented by Wieliczka Salt Mine.