A mining expedition requires a special setting – a dedicated route, proper equipment and, obviously, daredevils who wish to experience an exciting adventure. The specifically designed Miners’ Route in the Wieliczka Salt Mine allows the visitors to put themselves in miners’ shoes and gain an insight into the underground life of the Mine. Each participant will be provided with mining equipment including a helmet, a protective suit, a POG absorber and a safety lamp (we recommend wearing comfortable, waterproof footwear and loose clothes). During the underground adventure, the group of daredevils will be guided by an experienced guide, known as the foreman. As the participants aspire to become miners, they will be referred to as “ślepry”, which denotes novice miners. Each of the ślepry is attributed a mining profession and tasks by the foreman. The latter will include e.g. transporting salt or measuring methane gas concentration and rock mass movement. The foreman, who knows the Mine like the back of his hand, will provide the background story to this exciting tour, unveiling the secrets of the underground life and talking about mining traditions and rites.
1. This is a regular tour (group sightseeing).
2. Tour duration: approx. 3 hours
3. Maximum number of participants in a group: 20
4. Minimum age of participants: 12 years
5. For safety reasons, before entering the museum, every participant in required to undergo a search and luggage inspection.
6. The “Wieliczka” Salt Mine allows you to bring a hand luggage item with maximum dimensions of 35 ˣ 20 ˣ 20 centimetres (13.7 ˣ 7.8 ˣ 7.8 inches).
7. The tour requires considerable physical effort, therefore, for safety reasons, before the tour, the participants are requested to provide a physical fitness certificate.
8. The “Wieliczka” Salt Mine is located 135 metres (443 feet) underground, where the air temperature is approx. 14–16 Celsius degrees (57–61 Fahrenheit degrees). Therefore, the participants are required to bring warm clothes (e.g. sweaters, jackets).
9. Due to the nature of the tour (physical activity), the participants are required to wear comfortable, waterproof sports shoes.
10. SeeKrakow provides the participants with professional outfits (protective suits) and equipment (lamps, absorbers, helmets).
11. The mining route does not intersect with the tourist route, therefore the participants will not be visiting St. Kinga’s Chapel. If you wish to take the tourist route, please contact us.
12. A student’s ticket is available for students under 26, who present to the guide a valid student’s ID with a clearly visible date of birth and expiry date.
The Miners’ Route has been specifically designed for adventurers and is an active expedition. The route in this part of the Mine leads along dark corridors with an uneven salt bottom, mud and saline leaks. The tourists will come across shaky ladders and narrow passages to be crawled through to the other side. Please also remember about the temperature underground ranging from 14 °C to 16 °C and take warm clothing. Before the group sets on the tour, each participant needs to complete some formalities and dress in a special uniform. Wearing helmets and mining suits, equipped with mining lamps, the tourists leave their belongings in lockers to descend in an elevator to the first level 57 metres underground. The remaining part of the route is continued on foot and leads to the second level situated 101 metres underground. The route of the 3-hour expedition involves 21 historic pits active between the 14th and 19th century. Visitors who wish to take photos during the trip are requested to purchase a special permit available at the entry to the mineshaft. There is no lunch break included in the itinerary. The route is not connected with the Tourist Route and the chambers covered by it. Due to the route conditions, the Mining Route is only available to visitors over 10 years of age.
Check your booking on your phone or tablet
We cooperate only with qualified and experienced tour leaders and guides
We organise regular and private tours, for small and large groups
We have been named the leader of the year among tour operators a number of times. The award is presented by Wieliczka Salt Mine.